Friday 18 July 2014

The Garden in the third week of July...

Another week of sun and heat, like a fairytale  -- though the spell is about to be broken by the cooling temperatures and the rain in the forecast for this weekend, much to the chagrin of the organizers of the Folk Music Festival, I'm sure.
Brian and I had a quiet night in the garden; I did my usual garden rounds of photographs and beheading the marigolds, plus a little spinning practice on the wheel that I've borrowed; Brian watered the flax and worked on a major wheat-weaving project he started a week or so ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with it.
The flax was on the cusp of flowering, so it must be in bloom now -- I hope the rain this weekend doesn't discourage it. The Utrecht Blue wheat has lodged a bit more, probably due to being next to the flax and getting too much water, so we didn't water through that channel this time. A mouse or some other little pest has been visiting the Chinook wheat, which is the most ripe, running up the stems and snipping off the heads, and then eating the fallen heads and leaving the chaff all over the ground.
Behind the scenes, we're working on the organizing for our Harvest Home celebration on September 5th, putting together a poster and coordinating with the musicians. I look forward to sharing more with you soon!

The wheat is about 5' tall, and the flax must have grown 6' in the last week
and is just about ready to flower

Some of the nascent flax blossoms

I love the texture of the stems of the flax, like a bright green forest

Some of the flax began to lodge between the flax beds --
maybe just erosion off the sides of the beds?

The Utrecht Blue wheat leans over to its neighbours,
the oats and Black Einkorn, forming a small tunnel

I thought the nasturtiums were a bit of a long shot, planted into almost pure sand at the north
side of the garden, but they're catching up with the rest of the garden and have even set flowers.
Brian working on his big project, while Georgia checks out his display

One element of Brian's display --
I love the old woodcut image at the top, of the farmer reaping.

Brian concentrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment